Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Teaching evolution topic of Giffords - Bee education debate


The Tucson Weekly describes the education debate between Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and challenger, State Senator Tim Bee for the 8th District seat.

Reporter/columnist Jim Nintzel describes their answers to a question whether evolution or creationism should be taught in science classes:

Giffords says creationism doesn't belong in science classrooms, although it would be fine to teach it in religion classes, Sunday school, churches and at home. "Science needs to be taught in science classrooms."

Bee says the federal government shouldn't decide what should be taught in local classrooms, but adds that "there are competing opinions out there and children can make their own decision about what they believe about the world and how it came to be and that information is good to provide and let people think." He says it's important to teach critical thinking skills.

Giffords response is consistent with the position of the scientific community. Bee's position parallels that of the Discovery Institute, the chief proponent of Intelligent Design.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:19 PM

    I like your blog and look at it most every day..
    But what does this post have to do with geology?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evolution is as much a geology topic as it is a biology topic. Geologists are heavily involved in the debate over teaching evolution. I spent 6 years in Kansas in the middle of the fight. Many of my colleagues are involved in the issue across the country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:13 PM

    I still don't think it's really all that important, but it's not my blog. I appreciate the reply

    I'll still be tuning in though, it's not a large enough issue for me to stop reading all the other things you post that do interest me

    Thanks for your efforts creating such a good / interesting resource

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:03 PM

    Giffords says creationism doesn't belong in science classrooms, although it would be fine to teach it in religion classes, Sunday school, churches and at home.

    I don't understand what is fine about teaching creationism in Sunday school or anywhere else. Since when is lying to children an OK thing to do? Magical creation should only be taught in a class called "The History of Human Stupidity".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:02 AM

    As a public school etacher who is in the ID camp rather than the Darwinian evolution (DE) camp, the way I approach the subject in my classroom is through the lens of theory. If I present DE fairly and appropriately and then proceed to help the students analyze/criticize the reasoning and conclusions drawn from the evidence and the theory, I have done my job. I am not allowed to present any alternative, but creating doubt in the DE establishment cannot be misconstrued as unscientific.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:29 AM

    Considering I.D. has no theory, how is it possible to present doubt? I.D. is religion i you haven't heard. What are you doing teaching if you have a problem with understanding what science is and is not? Have you heard or read about Kitzmiller vs. Dover? Do you understand anything about this controversy? What school do you teach at?

    Do some research and then brain in gear before mouth in action and stop screwing with the children’s education in regards to science.

    Incredible.

    Gene

    ReplyDelete